Friday, February 27, 2009

Art Blog: The Best of Modern Art, 1800-Present

Nice surprise this morning. Noticed that my cover illustration for George Zebrowski's MACROLIFE is one of today's featured works over at Art Blog: The Best of Modern Art, 1800-Present. Check out this quote wherein the blog's creators describe what kind of art they like, and don't like:

"Most of what has been outstanding art in the past hundred years has been disparaged by modern artists as 'mere illustration.' We find that term to be insulting, and more often than not, a snide attack from posers who cannot produce quality work. Let us be clear, we have no issue with pushing the boundaries of art, whether it be composition, medium, or otherwise. But for us at least, art must still fulfill its aesthetic role. In short, it must be beautiful, inspiring, sublime...or at least something that doesn’t look like vomit on canvas."


Says it all, doesn't it? :) Today's entries also include works by Jacek Yerka, Arnold Bocklin, Carlos Schwabe, Ray Caesar, and Luis Royo. Art Blog's past archives make me want to spend all day there, with more than a few works I've never seen, and will probably research later on my own. I'll definitely be visiting this place often.

6 Comments:

Blogger ces said...

QUOTE: "...or at least something that doesn’t look like vomit on canvas..."

I love it! This has started off my day (or at least continued it since I've been up for 5.5 hours already) well!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, that says it all. I can't be bothered with all that. I think it can sound pretentious whether I say am an "artist" OR an "illustrator". I'm an arteest, heh.

5:45 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Thanks, Christine....thanks, Alex! Much appreciated.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, do you have any prints of this piece??? I just love it!

11:48 AM  
Blogger John Picacio said...

Hi, Mair --

Very kind of you. Yes, I do. I'll touch base with you soon with specs and prices, as soon as the smoke clears here in a short while....

Hope all's well there,
John

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Nature Photography said...

great blog, thanks for posting this blog John. keep up the good work. Congrats!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home